As lock down went on we were very happy to be able to get regular home deliveries – mostly from Sainsburys. This was a little tricky to start with – sometimes logging on past midnight to secure a slot as they became available! Luckily things have calmed down a bit and it’s normally pretty easy to book a home delivery now. However home delivery can have it down side as you are always relying on someone else to chose your products.
Bananas have been particular hit and miss – a few have been rather green while others have been pretty near over ripe by the time that they arrive. So this recipe which calls for overripe squishy bananas is just about perfect to use them up! I have cooked the basic version of this cake many times but love this more exotic version with coconut and blueberries.
Blueberry and banana cake
- Food mixer
- Loaf tin with grease-proof liner
- 100 g Butter or margerine softened
- 160 g Golden caster sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2-3 Over ripe bananas
- 50 g Desiccated coconut
- 225 g Self raising flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- .5 tsp Vanilla essence
- 75 g Blueberries
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- Add the sugar and butter/margarine into the mixing bowl and cream until smooth then slowly beat in the eggs
- Mash the bananas and add them to the bowl with the vanilla essence and slowly mix. Then add the Greek yogurt.
- Next add the flour and beat until smooth. Finally stir in the blueberries and desiccated coconut.
- Put the mixture into the loaf tin and sprinkle with the coconut flakes.
- Bake for about an hour until well risen and golden. You will know when the cake is cooked when a fine skewer comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool for a few minutes then take out to the tin to cool on a wire rack. Serve a slice with a nice cup of tea!!