I thought that I would revamp and republish some of my old favourite recipes using the new fab recipe plugin that I discovered recently – WP Recipe maker from Bootstrapped ventures.
First up is this recipe for pickled lemons – picked because I have a new batch steeping away in the kitchen at the moment. They are very colourful and a joy to stir and shake!
I’ve been making these lovely pickled lemons for years from a recipe in an old BBC paperback called the Perfect Pickle Book. It’s one of those battered books that I come back to every year at this time of the year as the recipes are just spot on – even though the hand knitted jumper and the dodgy perm on the front cover may not be quite the thing now!
You have to be patient with this recipe as the lemons are really not ready for at least 4 months after making as the skins need to soften and give out their oil. I add them to tagines but you can also use them as an accompaniment to curries, cous-cous and rice dishes.
- Sharp knife
- Kilner jars
- 6 lemons
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp Chill powder
- 14 floz/300mil Cider vinegar
- Rinse the lemons and dry with a cloth then chop them into chunks making sure that you remove the pips catching as much of the juice as you can.
- Put the lemons into a bowl,add the salt and spices then give them a good old mix before packing them into jars.
- Pour over enough cider vinegar to make sure that the lemons are totally covered. Seal the jars and give them a good shake.
- Leave the jars in a warm place making sure you shake regularly ( this is quite therapeutic!) then store for three months before using.